Roller skating is not just about gliding and cruising; it’s about mastering essential techniques that make your experience smoother and more enjoyable.
One crucial skill every roller skater should have in their arsenal is the plow stop. Are you struggling to learn how to perform this move? Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you nail this fundamental move: come try it at the Midland Rollers Arena.
Mastering the Plow Stop: A Roller Skating Essential
- Gear Up: Before hitting the rink, make sure you’re geared up with the right roller skates, knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet. Safety first, always!
- Find Your Balance: Start by skating slowly and getting comfortable on your skates. Find your balance by keeping your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Turn Your Toes In: To initiate a plow stop, turn your toes inward, creating a V-shape with your skates. This will naturally position your heels outward.
- Bend Your Knees: Lower your body by bending your knees. This will help you maintain stability and control throughout the plow stop.
- Apply Outward Pressure: Gently push your heels outwards while keeping your toes turned in. This outward pressure creates friction between the wheels and the surface, slowing you down.
- Gradual Stop: Unlike abrupt stops, a plow stop is a gradual process. Keep a steady pace as you apply pressure and come to a controlled stop.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Like any skill, mastering the plow stop takes practice. Start by developing your plow stop skills in a straight line and gradually incorporate it into your skating routine.
The Best Spot to Practice
Looking for an affordable way to enhance your roller skating skills? At Midland Rollers Arena, we believe in providing the best learning experience for our skaters.
Join our skating lessons to receive expert guidance. Lucy and Mel, our senior coaches, offer lessons covering essential skills, including the plow stop.
If you prefer one-on-one attention, book a private lesson with Lucy on Tuesdays or Mel on Wednesdays. They’ll tailor the session to your skill level and focus on areas you want to improve.
If you enjoy learning in a group setting instead, our next scheduled weekday courses are starting from January 8th to February 15th, 2024, and are available on Mondays and Thursdays.
Our courses cater to mixed ages and abilities. Plus, a 6-week block is only £48 per person!
Contact us to book your spot in the next set of lessons or schedule a private session with our expert coaches. Whether you’re a beginner or looking to refine your techniques, we have a lesson for everyone.
Covering a range of skills, from basic stops to forward cross overs and jumps, Lucy and Mel ensure each session is engaging and tailored to help you progress. Let the rink become your playground and develop your skating skills whilst having the time of your life at Midland Rollers Arena!